If you have a mad car fan around, these genius Hot Wheels display ideas will save your home! Seriously, those tiny matchbox cars have a way of getting around. Do double duty with these brilliant display AND storage ideas. You can see my complete playroom 0rganization or scroll down for toy car storage ideas. Disclosure: this post contains commissioned links.
Hot Wheels and other toy cars are a classic clutter trap, as they tend to be collected – both by children who simply love toy cars, and by adults who… love toy cars!
But they have an advantage that other toys don’t – they are beautiful, collectible, and displayable (if you ask me.) That makes them a perfect item to store in an aesthetic way, instead of just dumping them into another shoe box.
I put together a quick list of 11 brilliant Hot Wheels display ideas and storage solutions for you to DIY. Some are perfect for “dummies” and some require a little more skill. Choose your sin from the list below!
I’ve also added a few cool storage solutions you can purchase for those of you who may be hammer-handicapped.
11 DIY Hot Wheels Display and Storage Ideas:
Click on the image or the title to be taken to the tutorial for each of these Hot Wheels display ideas. Please note that image copyrights belong to the respective authors of each of these ideas. If you are sharing this post, please do so using the first or last (collaged) image, and not the individual craft.
1. One of my all-time favorites is this Truck Grill hot wheels storage that really lights up from Arts & Crackers.
2. Make a hanging organizer to display from a hook with this tutorial from Pick Up Some Creativity.
3. Make a cool slanted display shelf with a woodworking tutorial from LumberJocks.
4. Use metal knife racks to store them with this great idea from the Style Files. I’ve seen this on many websites, and found complaints that it did not work, so I did my research. Apparently, it only works with older cars that have metal bottoms. Some moms fixed this by gluing magnets to the bottoms of the cars.
5. This Painted PVC pipe display by Homedit can be matched to any decor and really makes a statement!
6. This genius car storage idea from A Lo and Behold Life has been a huge hit. You won’t believe what it’s made from !
7. I’m in love with the look of this vintage milk-crate-turned-matchbox-car-storage from Designer Trapped in a Lawyer’s Body.
8. What could be better than an actual used tire for storing and displaying toy cars?! Check out the tutorial from Spaceships and Laser Beams.
9. I am obsessed with this wooden crate garage by Frugal Fun 4 Boys. It doubles as a toy to go with the cars too!
10. Stacy’s Savings made this beautiful visual storage for her son’s toy trains – but it works great for Hot Wheels display too!
11. If you’re a collector and keep your Hot Wheels cars in the package, here’s a youtube video for a cool display:
More Hot Wheels Display Ideas and Storage Solutions that I love:
If you’re not keen on DIY or need a quick solution, here are some ideas you can pick up quickly that look great too!
With my son just beginning to show an interest in toy cars, I’ll definitely be saving these DIY Hot Wheels display ideas for a later date! I may even come up with my own solution sometime…
How do you organize your matchbox cars? Do you have any Hot Wheels display ideas to add to the list? Comment below!
This post was originally published December 2015 and was updated to bring it… up to date!! Thanks for all the love!